Choose a social media policy to review from one of the lists of social media policies found on the Resources page.
Provide a link to the policy you selected then answer the following questions:
- Does it demonstrate all the “Must-Haves” (see below)? If not, what’s missing?
- What other comments do you have about the policy?
- Introduce the purpose of social media
- Be responsible for what you write
- Be authentic
- Consider your audience
- Exercise good judgment
- Understand the concept of community
- Respect copyrights & fair use
- Protect confidential & proprietary info
- Bring Value
- Productivity Matters
You have spent a great deal of time during this class looking at good and bad examples of social media use in agriculture, and in more general terms.
What advice would you give to agriculturists considering using social media for their agribuisnesses or simply to share their farm stories?
What are the best practices that should be emphasized?
The first set of questions for those of you who have a mobile device (smartphone or tablet). If you do not own such a device, answer the second set of questions.
I own a mobile device:
- What mobile device (or devices) do you use? Please tell me what you use your mobile device (or devices) for. When using your mobile device, do you spend more time looking at websites or using apps? Please explain what you like and don’t like about using your mobile device to view the web.
- Do you use any type of lo-so network? If you do, please explain which one and your opinion of using that network. If you don’t use a lo-so network, why not?
- Have you ever scanned a QR code? If so, provide an example. How could you use a QR code, either personally or professionally?
I do NOT own a mobile device (yet):
- Based on what you have read and learned, what do you think is the future for mobile devices? How will people use them? Can/Should they be used in classrooms?
- Why might a business want to use a lo-so network? Why would individuals what to use a lo-so network? What are the benefits and concerns?
- Have you ever noticed a QR code on something? If so, provide an example. How could you use a QR code, either personally or professionally?
With your Twitter account, you will choose at least three similar tweeters to follow based on a theme you wish to follow (for example, if your theme was Texas Tech Football, you might follow Kliff Kingsbury, Texas Tech Athletics, and Texas Tech Football). Tweeters must be an organization, business, or official individual (please don’t choose your friends).
You will actively follow, read and keep up with tweets posted by these Twitter users over the course of at least one week (two would be better if you can manage it) and will write a short analysis of how these tweeters used Twitter and what you learned from following them.
Questions to think about when writing your analysis include, but are not limited to:
How do the tweeters I chose to follow fit within my theme?
- How did each of the tweeters utilize Twitter to their advantage?
- How active were each of the tweeters during the time that I followed them?
- What did you learn from following this group?
- How well do you feel they utilized Twitter?
- What did they do well?
- What did they do poorly?
- What could these tweeters do to improve their Twitter use?
The deadline for this assignment is Monday, August 4th.
Our guest speakers today discussed many different tools and strategies related to using social media for public relations.
- What was one of the most interesting things you learned today?
- What lessons could your organization (where you work) learn from Texas Tech’s social media presence?
Of the social media tools presented in class today, which do you think you would be the most willing to adopt? How could it help you personally and/or professionally? What advantages and disadvantages do you see to its use?
Dr. Irlbeck discussed a number of aspects to consider when developing a social media plan (audience, purpose, platforms, key messages, timeline, etc.).
What were three important concepts you gained from her presentation that you will use when developing your final project for the class? (Even if you are creating a research proposal for your final project instead of a social media plan, what things did you learn that could help inform your research project?)
Please number your responses.
Select a website you frequently use or one that is closely related to your current career. (Please select one that was not discussed or shown in class.)
Using the provided Usability Checklist, critically evaluate the site then answer the following questions. Make sure to put the site URL at the beginning of your response. When answering the questions, provide an example to illustrate your point.
- What aspects of the site are most effective?
- Where did you notice areas that could be improved?
- How could you use these guidelines to improve your own blog or website?
If you have a LinkedIn account already:
- How long have you had a LinkedIn account?
- What’s your overall impression of LinkedIn ?
- Please discuss how you have used your LinkedIn account.
If you do not have a LinkedIn account:
- Please set one up and add 10 connections.
- What is your opinion of the site so far?
Do you think you’ll continue to use it when the class is over?